It would probably be best if you send us a clean log file so that we can review it and investigate the issue.
To get a clean log, you will need to do the following:
- Open Jaksta Media Recorder
- Go to Preferences > General > Find Log File
- Close JMR but keep the Finder window with the log file open
- Delete the log file and still keep the Finder window open
- Reopen JMR (this will generate a new log file)
- Run one test on a standard stream that you know gives an error/fails
- Close JMR once it fails or wait until it crashes
- Go back to the Finder window with the new log file and attach it here (don't copy and paste the code in it - send the file itself)
I have found that using Jaksta to capture from Tidal in a browser (Chrome specifically) is successful, but the file naming may not be fantastic. But with the manual renaming ability in the Jaksta library it should not be too much of a drama.
Regardless of where/how you download music, Jaksta Music Recorder will generally have a better time with file naming and artist/track info.
When I try to download from the TIDAL app on my Mac Jaksta does produce files with a flac extension. However they are not recognized and will not play.
I made a setting in the Protocols section application/TIDAL.app and left the extension blank. (tried with ext as flac as well)